Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Have you listened to a pair of Klipsch KG4?

I know of many people who spent tens of thousands of dollars on loudspeakers. However, you don’t really get tens of thousands of dollars a better sound. The reason why I am saying this is because I owned a pair of Klipsch, the KG4. Many of you would have known this is a vintage speakers and they are no more in production. If you are lucky enough to own a pair, keep it for life. They are probably one of the best Klipsch speakers ever built. Klispch as you probably know are the Harley Davidsons of speakers.

The KG4 comprises of two 8” woofers upfront matched with an exponential horn tweeter. Behind the speaker lies a 12” bass radiator. Most people who have not heard the horns would think of it as harsh. I think it is incredibly mellow and if at all, the dome tweeters do display a certain degree of harshness.

When I first brought home my pair of KG4, I was shocked to say the least the stark difference in tonal quality from my Energy Professional Reference Monitor. The Energys having been with me for fifteen years have always sound the way I learnt to live with it. Very transparent, exposing every musical instruments in the way it should be sound. However, the KG4 does in many ways project a different musicality. With constant listening, it develops a very loud and yet mellow interpretation of music, unbelievably clean across the spectrum. Against the wall, bass is tight and drums are reproduced fully weighted. The specs show the KG4 will go down to 38 Khz!

So, how good is the KG4? I’ve had the Gale 401, the Tangent RS4 and even the Spendor, not forgetting my other reference speaker, the Energy Reference 22 and for my money, the Klipsch KG4 is the best. At high level listening, it’s as good as being there where the performance is. The reviews, I took from Klipsch forum will testify to that. If you are lucky enough to find one, keep it for life.

Klipsch KG4 reviews from Klipsch forum.

  • I bought a pair of Bose 901 VI off of Ebay. I had them for about 3 days when a friend told me he had a pair of speakers in his garage and asked if I wanted them. He brought them to work and showed them to me. They were black Klipsch KG4. I took them home hooked, them up and was astounded. The Bose went back on Ebay the same week. I did keep the stands. KG4s look and sound great on them. Use them with a high quality sub and you'll amaze everyone, I don't care what they have.
    - kilocharley, Audio Enthusiast, from MA

  • The Klipsch KG4 might just be the best loudspeaker ever produced by Klipsch. The Khorn is still a dream and a couple car payments away. . . I worked with my mother about 11 years ago to buy a pair of speakers. I made her choose three selections of music that she most listens to. . .Frank S., Pop, and Classical (violin and guitar). For several months we would go to stores and A/B compare two pairs of speakers at the same time. Wait several day and try two different pairs of speakers. Then she would decide if she liked A or B from a particular day; then speaker A might go head to head with speaker B from a different day. When push came to shove. . .the KG4's won hands down. . . for all types of music they work great. Many critics speak of the harsh horn tweeter. I find that many modern dome tweeters to be more harsh and fatiguing [sp]. Great construction on all parts. . .the x-over is a little wimpy (attached to input panel with glue! Never have had the tweeter protection kick in. . .you must have to drive the Klipsch KG4's to wall shaking levels (the walls of your neighbors that is). I currently have my mother's stereo set up with a Yamaha M-45 driving the KG4's. . .an electronic crossover (AudioControl Richter Scale Series III) cuts 60Hz and below from the Klipsch KG4's but they can handle it. . .I just like a little more low end, therefore the other end of the x-over goes to a 12" sub. . . It is a little much at times. I met Paul Klipsch several years ago in Santa Rosa, CA. . . . .we discussed differential equations and how they relate to acoustics and expotential horn flare. . . .cool stuff and mostly over my head at the time. . . .I think he holds about 40 patents in very interesting areas. . .low frequency propagation and the finding of oil reserves. The KG4's do not sound anything like the modern Klipsch loudspeakers designed by Paul's son. . . .(although the KG4's might have been designed by him). . .the move towards ported designs for more efficient power transfer has resulted in a dramatically different sounding loudspeaker. . . Although the KG4 is a ported design(via the mass of the 12" passive radiator instead of the mass of the air in the ports) it still sounds more like a true acoustic suspension loudspeaker (my personal favorite). Heck, they don't have efficiency but they are controlled! I enjoy every visit to my mom's and listen to them every time I am there. . .I think she is jealous. . Maybe I'd listen to her if she was coming though the KG4. . . .Someday I will attempt to build a duplicate KG4. . . .just sweet sound. . .sure it has color. . .but I like its color. . .better than B/W 602 for the same price new.
    - Chris Browne, an Audio Enthusiast

  • I'm already partial to Klipsch. But I notice a trend in the reviews: the kg4s and fortes are competing against much higher priced exotics and coming out on top! The kg4 responds down to 38hz? That's darn near Klipschorn turf in a box smaller I've never heard such deep, powerful and well defined bass from a pair of boxes this size. Pay attention to room placement and you should get loads of bass. Who needs a sub-woofer! You can have my kg4's when you pry my cold dead hands from them! A sad, personal irony for this purchase was that I bought these wonderful speakers on the same day that the fine gentleman, Mr Paul Klipsch, himself passed away.
    - moparaddict, AudioPhile

  • I am truly impressed with these speakers. I am hearing things I never heard before. Such clear sound, it is incredible. If you want excellent tight bass and extraordinary range, then get these speakers!!
    - copperhouse240, Audio Enthusiast, from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

  • I have had my kg-4's for 17 years i have only had problems with the horns but there not that expencive if you order them from klipsch i listen to acid rock hard rock country jazz clasical and they have always sounded awsom with every thin i've put them through lifesaver.
    - Audio Enthusiast, from Des Moines Iowa USA

  • I bought these to replace the highly vaunted vandys(my wife hated their size).The kg4's were to be a short term replacement based on the reviews found here.I was astounded by the sound of these speakers,crystal clear highs,full midrange,more than adequate bass,broad-deep soundstage,never fatiguing regardless of how long or what you listen to(jazz,rock,acoustic,classical,trance,etc).The detail is not quite as defined as the vandys,but then they are 2x as large and costly,but certainly not 2x better than these.In short if you can find them,buy them.
    - John, Audio Enthusiast, from Walpole, New Hampshire

  • I bought these Klipsch back in 1987 for stereo / radio listening only. I am using them as front mains for my suround system.. Why??? Cause they still kick butt!!! While upgrading my whole system for DVD and surround sound, I decided to look for new front speakers. Afterall, 15 years of speaker upgrades should sound better. And generally they do. I looked at the new Klipsch Reference. They are great, but these old Klipsch still hit the highs and lows almost as good as the new $2,000.00 speakers. These KG4s go down to 38, that is good low bass with only a passive radiator!! Maybe I am sentimental that they were my first big purchase as a teenager, but they still play great and will keep up with most new speakers. If you can find a pair get them, if you own them, never part with them.
    - Aaron Snyder, Audio Enthusiast, from Allentown, PA

  • Have the KG4's powered with a Rotel pre and Bryston 4B . The horn sound is so clear. Bass is fantastic and the passive gives the sound added depth.Have had thes for about 16 yrs and just purchased a second set. powered them with a hafler 500 . Unbelievable sound with the two pairs. Get a chance buy them.
    - Sharpeman, AudioPhile

  • Klipsch KG 4's are a super choice for Rock , Jazz , and even Hip Hop / Rap. Definition is excellent in all aspects of performance. Horns can be a little loud in small rooms at higher output levels but a little foam can quiet these down and still retain their clarity.Dual 8" drivers are very tight and punchy , percise and work super with the passive in the rear.I would buy and am looking to buy another pair in excellent /like new condition. A++++++ SPEAKER NO COMPETITION IN ITS PRICE CLASS!!
    - GMAXAUDIO, AudioPhile

  • What a great speaker! I was out looking for some Forte's when I happened across the KG4's. What a speaker!!! I can't see myself buying another pair of speakers, unless I'm adding another pair of these. They're efficient, the bass is more than enough, and they look and sound great. I think the room that I have them in is actually a little too small (the master bedroom). As soon as I get that Adcom amp I'm looking for, I'll show them off in the living room. If price is no object and you want a great speaker, try the Klipsch KG4. You will not go wrong......
    - Byron, Audio Enthusiast, from Georgia

  • I am in awe at all the people who own KG 4's. I bought mine new in the summer of 90' and have loved them ever since. .I just don't see them around. Perhaps I don't hang out with the right people! I've listened to about every kind of music you can think of through these KG's and they have performed with elligence and finesse. Never a hint that they weren't able to handle it. At low volume they sound just beautiful. Lows are controlled and tight and the highs are articulated with precission and detail.At loud levels,wow! they can handle anything the r-851 can throw at them. The r-851 has a conservitively rated 85 watt amp. What more can I say? The Kyocera was just loafing but you would never know it with the Kg's!With very little amplifer power(like 5 watts)these KG's produce tremendous sound and I might add volume;living up to the Klipsch name. If I had to try and find something to pick about,it would be I've always been concerned about protecting the passive radiator. I've never damaged it but I always wonder If anything could be done to protect it better without compromising sound. That aside, you won't find a better sounding speaker for the price. You'll probably find that you'll keep yours for a decade too!
    - James, Audio Enthusiast, from Toledo,Ohio

  • I have owned these speakers for thirteen years. These speakers make music sound alive. they have played so loud your neighbors will think you have concert in home, but still sound good at low volume. I will never sell these speakers, they will go to the grave with me.
    - Joseph Sughero, Audiophile, from Chicago Ill

  • Aaaaahh, yes the KG4. I bought a pair of these speakers a number of years ago. Unfortunately I also sold them a number of years ago. I will never forget them. I had a pair of Polk Audio Monitor 7's and could not stand them. The drivers popped and their pretty "fish eye" liquid cooled tweeters blew. After about 2 months of putting up with the Polk's I threw them away and bought the KG4's. I had never and still haven't heard a better pair of speakers. These speakers are so good I used mine for about three years and sold them for more than I paid for them. I still regret selling them. I give the KG'4s five stars. Keep up the good work Paul.
    - Chris, an Audio Enthusiast

  • Incredible speakers! Until recently I had two pair matched with a Kg2 center channel in a HT system. I haven't noticed the horn screech I have read so much about when reading about horn-loaded systems. I find the sound to be very smooth and musical, with abundant but controlled bass. My wife requested I sell at least one pair after buying a pair of Legacy Focus (also because I probably have approx. 14 other pairs of other speakers) which I found difficult to do. Not because no one wanted them, on the contrary, I had several offers, but I enjoy them so much I didn't want to part with them. I still have one pair and still enjoy listening to them. Ratings? A 5 all round, a great speaker, a great sound
    - Ken Falls, an Audiophile
  • My favorite speakers.....I bought a pair while in high school and sold them when I was a senior in college. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID. WHY? WHY? WHY? WHY? (Obviously I did not learn anything in college) . Great sound. Great bass. Clear highs. Excellent power handling. Beautiful cabinets. I will be coming the newspaper want ads in hopes of finding a pair...
    - Meado, an Audio Enthusiast

  • I myself have had my Kg4s for over 13 years. These speakers are one of the best sounding speakers i have ever heard. They are unparalleled in there reproduction of the entire audio spectrum which is audible to the human ear. I would like to say I know that there are far too many other speakers in existence out there. I’m not putting down the many speakers in existence out there, but I think the kg4s are one of the best, period, bar none regardless of price. I hope to have my kg4s for the rest of my life and beyond. Suffice it to say no matter what kind of speakers you might own when you hear a pair of kg4s or other older model of klipsh, I’m sure you will agree they are some of the best sounding speakers money can buy.
    - Travis m williams, an Audiophile

  • I had these speakers 8 years ago and they are fantastic speakers for the money.To this day I would put these speakers up against any in there price range. Highly recommended.
    - Larry, an Audio Enthusiast

  • I had the Heresy and Forte to compare, along with myriad offerings from Polk, Infinity, AR, and JBL. These Kg4's absolutely smacked you with power and emotion. The range and bass they could kick out crushed competition. I heard these coupled to a Nakmichi Pa 7 power amp. These Kg4's sounded so clean and powerful that I thought that NOTHING on the market offered so much fro so little. They are totally topnotch small speakers. I loved the cabinet which I used to apply linseed oil or lemon oil to bring out the woodgrain. If you see a pair of these babies, mate them with a CLEAN solid state or tube amp and they will be unadulterated sonic joy.
    - AS, Audio Enthusiast, from Napa, CA

  • I have never been happier since i acquired my second set of Kg4s! One set of kg4s is heaven sent but two pair will leave you absolutely astounded and left with a sense of complete awe at what can be heard through the human ear!!! I say enjoy whatever you have for speakers but when you hear A set of Klipsch you might just change your mind!! I hope you will open your mind and give Klipsch a chance if you ever run into them. Remember life is to short to quibble over the short points we perceive. If you see something valuable to your own eye' go for it just hope its klipsch or possibly as good as Klipsch or you might be gravely upset!!!!
    - Audiophile, from idaho springs Colorado

  • Great speakers -- well designed and built to withstand a nuclear attack. These will deliver great sound not just in the short term, but for decades of use.
    - Chris Burke, Audiophile, from Milwaukee, WI, USA

  • I purchased my KG4s way back in 1984-85 when I was in the USAF. I'm a rocker at heart and nothing going at the time could compare for cost, sound and looks. At the time, the competition was a set from Infinity (don't recall the model) but the Infinity didn't have the attractive cabinet as the KG4 does. These speakers have been all around the world with me and still look and sound as good as day one! I've been driving them with a Yamaha M-50 main-amp and C-50 pre-amp the whole time and have been the envy of all my friends. Just last week I added a B&W AWS-1000 sub to the system and now I can't believe I lived this long without one! Obviously, if you can find a pair, BUY them!!!
    - Paul, Audiophile, from New Lenox, IL US

  • When I got my system about 12 years ago I had a problem, either spend lots on a nakamichi tape deck or sink the cash into a set of nice speakers. Guess what I did? l Let's put it this way I told my wife when we first met if the house is on fire and I'm not around, everything can burn, but save the KG4s! bill,.
    - Audio Enthusiast, from USA

  • I will always remember my first purchase with a credit card: a pair of Klipsch Kg4s, when I was 19, a freshman inc college, in 1989. And though, with interest, the speakers have cost me more than all but one of the automobiles I've bought since then, I've never regretted it. They've held up nicely, through several moves (none of them gentle). In pecan cabinets, they've held up nicely through several finishes. And the sound? In more than a dozen years, I've never gotten tired of them. Even though I could afford better speakers now, I have never "upgraded," simply because I've never found another set of speakers which gave me as much satisfaction. They're efficient enough to run the cats out of your neighborhood. They're transparent enough to make you forget where, exactly, they are when your eyes are closed. And they're durable enough to run, as we say in Georgia, "from now on." Pound for pound, dollar for dollar, the best speaker you can buy, as far as I'm concerned. And if you're in the market, don't e-mail me. Mine aren't for sale.
    - Patrick Neal, Audio Enthusiast, from Toccoa, GA 30577

  • The KG4 is by far and away the best speaker I’ve ever heard. I got mine in 1987 and still use and enjoy them to this day. At the time I bought them I listened to over twenty speakers and none were as clear and smooth.
    - Chris, Audiophile, from Kinderhook, NY USA

  • The kg4 has been a fantastic all-around performer for me since 1987. I expected to find them lacking when I recently compared them to similarly priced speakers. The kg4 passive 12 extends the bass so smoothly I chose to wait another few years to replace these.
    - Garin Granata, Audio Enthusiast, from Orem, UT

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

While I agree that the KG4's are a spectacular speaker, comparing them to a Harley Davidson is an insult. While Harley's have been greatly improved over the last decade or so in terms of reliability, they have been traditionally known as big, heavy, junky machines that break down often.